Sunday, February 21, 2021

Surgery

 I feel like I need to document this...and kickstart my journal again. Okay, so granted the “surgery” I underwent was the most common surgery and not too invasive but still...I’m a wuss and I’m weird. So this was a big deal for me and also exciting. I might possibly be the only person that anyone has ever asked, “How are you feeling about your upcoming surgery?” And the response was, “Super excited! Yeah!” But I’ll get to why I felt that way in a minute. 

So a few months ago, I started getting these pains in my stomach and chest. However, I have acid reflux issues, so I figured it was just a bad moment after eating a hamburger or something. I would sit there in pain (because I’m tough and dumb) and wait for it to subside. However about 4 weeks ago, the pain radiated well into my chest and as any woman knows, literally anything could apparently be a heart attack. So doubled-over in pain on the couch after 2 hours, I looked over at my husband and said, “Take me to the ER.”

My poor husband. Because of anxiety and acid reflux issues, I can’t say I’m a stranger to the ER. And usually I run in, wait 8 hours, they run tests, and then essentially say, “You need to relax.” Thanks, Doc. 

So even though I was in pain, I was more intrigued by the process of checking into the hospital during Covid measures. I mean, I wanted to ensure I wasn’t having a heart attack, but as a reports analyst for a health insurance, this experience was about to turn into job training. 

So I checked in and waited for about 10 minutes and then they ran an EKG. 1 hour later, I’m guessing the EKG came out okay, and they walk me into an actual ER room. After waiting awhile more, the doctor comes in, runs some tests, they stick me a few times for an IV (I’m pretty sure it says in my clinical notes, “make that bitch pay for difficult veins by telling her that while you know everyone always has issues, you, personally, are pretty sure you can get it — you know, after 5 tries and massive bruising). After a few hours, I’m declared perfectly healthy although “it might be gall bladder stones”. And I’m sent on my way with instructions to kinda follow up with my gastro. 

Okay cool. So I’m released. Glad I’m healthy, perplexed I’m healthy, yet still in no rush right now to get back to my gastro about worse acid reflux. (My husband and I get paid fairly well. We both work for Fortune Top 10 companies and have insurance. However, last I visited my gastro he asked me a few questions then told me to get an endoscopy that was going to cost me $7k out of pocket. Why do I have insurance again?)

So, I’m not entirely irresponsible. I DID call my gastro. I was asked to come in. But I asked if I could bypass the first office visit for $180 and just go straight to the endoscopy, however I was told that since it had been so long, I should come in first. Okay, so many reactions to that, but we’ll let it go for now.

(Next, debilitating pain)

No comments: