Friday, June 20, 2008

Staring at the screen...

Every week and a half or so, I receive this...request. I don't generate data, or answer questions, or do data analysis with this request. I simply reformat an excel spreadsheet. When I first received this request, the words that ran through my mind were: "You've gotta be fucking kidding me?!"

I don't mind doing a little grunt work now and again, but this reoccurring nightmare is all because no one in the upper echelons of our company knows how to do basic math in Excel. (Really, people?)

I thought this report was a nightmare until it got handed off to a new person. All of a sudden totals couldn't match because data was missing, formats were screwed with, and what came regularly every Thursday was now apparently on a schedule of "whenever I feel like harassing you with a ridiculous request because I know you have better things to do."

So here I sit, staring at...no....glaring at the screen. Cursing this damn thing once again because I have to change what's supposed to be a date from a time to a date, changing the one odd date in the range, and making 50 pt font into something normal.

To top it off, I was working until 11 p.m. last night and started working from home at 5 a.m. I'm at work now, but it's starting to hit me. From here I have to assist R with facilities set up for Toastmasters training and then facilitate a class.

I was fortunate enough to have someone volunteer to fill in my co-facilitator role at the last minute. They asked what they could help with. I didn't know specifically when they asked, but now I know...

poke me when I fall asleep.

No comments: