Monday, April 28, 2008

I am sooo done with this month...

I know...bitch, whine, complain. But this is what I do best when I have a cold.

Yes ladies and gentlemen, on top of everything else, I also have the sniffles. Although I was aware the odds were I was going to get this certain illness from my roommates, it doesn't make the fact that I have it any less bearable.

Goodness, when did I last leave you? I know it's only been a few days, but it seems like a month. Thursday I went home and played Rock Band, ate white chocolate and macadamia nut cookies, and watched television. It was blissful. I even got some sleep and woke up Friday feeling semi-normal.

Friday I did not get the chance to see my mother, but grandma and I decided at this time that we would switch off days visiting her. Then Saturday hit...

Saturday morning, I competed in an evaluation speech contest...and lost...but that's a story for another day. Apparently I did very well and although it was clear I wasn't the winner, everyone was wondering why I didn't get alternate (2nd)...anyway...no biggie. Actually a bit of a relief. The guy who won is in another one of my clubs, he's a good guy, and this means I have more free time to focus on what I need to.

We get out. I'm good but tired, we go to lunch, have fun talking, then head over to our regular Saturday afternoon Toastmasters meeting. (I had a speech that day, so I couldn't cancel although I was so tired, I was tempted). Get through the meeting, the speech, the evaluations, we're wrapping up and I check my phone. Two missed calls and two voicemails...from my grandmother and aunt.

Grandma? No problem. She calls me all the time. But grandma AND my aunt within minutes of eachother? I knew something was up. I took my phone outside and called my grandmother back. I guess mom almost did herself in by not getting enough oxygen. She crashed and then they moved her to ICU and put a permanent, larger oxygen mask on her along with some drugs to make her relax (aka pass out).

Between the phone calls to my grandmother, aunt, and the hospital, at one point I thought I was losing my mother that day. Very shaken, I had the R drive me to the hospital. We tried to get ahold of K (she was not feeling well so we forced her to stay at home for the TM meeting) but I guess she was passed out cold taking a nap at home.

Once I got to the hospital, I walked into the room and saw my mom looking better but very frail. The next day I got to speak with the doctor and he explained that the biggest problem is her lungs right now. If they can keep her consistently on oxygen, there's a good chance she'll recuperate soon. She can barely talk right now and is asleep most of the time when we visit (which is a good thing.)

So we'll see. With my cold right now, I won't be able to visit. I need to find out from the hospital how long I have to wait before visiting again. But it kind of sucks.

I'm at work right now, but still exhausted. Saturday night we did go see W's (roomies little bruddha) play. It was very hokey and W only had about 4 lines in it. It was still nice to get out though. The best part was seeing W frolic and dance during the May dance act. Ah, ha, ha, ha, ha. Thanks W. I needed that laugh.

No comments: