Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Slave to the task list

It's 11 pm. I should be sleeping. But instead I'm writing in my blog because my to do list told me to.

It was actually a decent day today. I probably should have focused a little more. I have to keep repeating to myself, "I'm a manager. My goals are not mine anymore. I work for the people."

It's a very odd situation when you are a manager. Only because so many people have this preconceived notion of what a manager is and it's usually wrong.

I grew up (professionally) in the world of the 90s. TQM (total quality management), training, franklin covey. Back then, there was a real focus on what you put into something is what you got out. My company ensured that I took 40 hours of training a year..at minimum. And it showed. We regularly reviewed goals and values. I could tell you my own personal goals and actions and how it supported the company. I lived and breathed corporate culture. And it was good. It was a family owned business (until it wasn't) and I could take the President to task...if I knew what I was talking about.

Now I work for a big company. They try to embody goals and values, but it falls short. I don't get a sense from Management that they are there for the people. I don't think they get it. Don't get me wrong. I love my job. I love my company. I get the unique experience of helping out others who really need it with the guilty pleasure of actually getting paid well to do it.

However, I don't think management understands the bottom up pyramid that makes a successful company. Ever heard of it? Well, my customers are not only those who the company supports, they're my team. I'm not really here to manage the processes. I mean, I am. Bottom line, right? But my job, in totality, is to support my people. Not manage them, support them.

I need to recognize what they need. What they need to challenge them. What they need to make them happy about what they are doing. What they need to become efficient at what they are doing. What they need to do their job and do it well. That may be me praising them. That may be me scheduling training. That may be me pulling them aside and saying, "Step it up. I know you have it in you."

My husband is a very smart man. He's been doing this longer than I. He says that once you're a manager, forget the praise and the recognition. It's for your people now. Had a great project? It's your people. Customer is happy? It's your people.

It's just going to take me a little while to make that transition. Thank goodness I already have great people on my team. Makes it easier.

No comments: