Friday, June 08, 2007

New Beginnings

So as I was sitting there at the school campus waiting for R to finish enrolling for his classes, it hit me. Both R and K are going to be going to school and working ot, getting involved in things that take up their time at night. So where does that leave me?

A bit of fear struck me as I realized, "I'm going to have to do something. Or get stuck at home all night by myself staring at the clock wondering why on earth I'm so dependent on other people's schedules."

So, I start to think, what on earth can I do? I could teach, but quite frankly that scares the crap out of me. Another serious committment in my life, although brings in money, means I would have to actually know the subject I am teaching and be wholly dedicated to update my knowledge in those areas. I'm not smart enough for that. I know my sql, but thats about it. And I certainly don't know the latest and greatest.

I could go back to school. But that requires either more loans or money out of pocket (that quite frankly I don't have.)

I could continue to do my comic strip. Hmmm, actually that does take up quite a bit of time and could be lucrative if I apply myself. We'll put that one aside for the moment.

I could take up quilting....bah, ha, ha, ha, ha. No...in all seriousness...

I could volunteer. Actually I could volunteer teach. I have been wanting to do this for quite some time. I just need to get out there and find someone who needs a teacher.

But I can't just stagnate. I was watching R get everything prepared for classes. And I was meloncholy. I loved going to school. I loved being active, doing schoolwork, having something to do. And quite frankly, now what?

I'm a semi-divorced, 30 year-old woman living with roommates who have a life. My next big goals were to have kids. So what does a career woman (wow, yes, I said career woman...still boggles my mind to say that) do with all the extra time on her hands?

3 comments:

blueberi said...

I say the comic strip. Or something that will bring you money.

I started my freelance work this week.

It felt so good to write up the invoice. I may take a couple weeks to get that money, but it put me at ease a bit. I'm gonna have some more money coming.

Cloudy said...

Take an art class at a community college. Take a kick boxing or belly dancing class.

Ever think about trying to live alone for awhile?

Mark Brown said...

Coleen: YEA...

I tried telling a certain party that several months ago, but to no avail.

I (personally) think that learning to live (alone) (and therefore LIKE) yourself is VERY important for EVERYone to Experience...

But I'd go and take a community college course in XYZ...