Friday, November 02, 2007

Songs of my life

Inspired by Rose

In Order by Auto-Biographical

1) Rockin Robin - Jackson 5

This was the first piece of music I ever owned. I received a child's record player from my grandmother as a gift, and with it a few records. I used to play this record over and over. It made me so happy.

2) Loves Me Like a Rock - Paul Simon

My mother sang a lot. This was one of the songs she sang all the time. Pretty much anything folk music she loved. When I hear it today, I still feel like I'm in my mom's arms as a child being rocked back and forth and being sang to.

3) Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler

This was essentially my first publicly performed song. A few friends and I went to the fair and tried our hand at the recording booth. Of course, I butchered it, but to this day I still try to sing it to see if I've gotten any better.

4) If I Could Change The World - Eric Clapton

This was the only song Rob and I could agree to for our wedding dance. Ironically enough, and perhaps I should have taken notice of it, the dj ended up losing all his music and we ended up dancing to some country song instead.

5) All I Wanna Do Is Have Some Fun - Cheryl Crow

During my brief stint at ASU, this song was on the radio all the time. I used to drive to school each day with the window rolled down and singing at the top of my lungs, in complete agreement with Cheryl.

6) Typical Situation - Dave Mathews

When I worked at a construction company, I had about an hour and a half drive each way every day. I listened to a lot of Dave Mathews and I just thought this song was beautiful. This entire album was great.

9) Father of Mine - Everclear

Anyone who knows me, knows my daddy issues. Whenever this song came on the radio, I would nod my head in agreement and curse my father by singing the lyrics and driving fast.

10) Say It Ain't So - Weezer

"My love is a lifetaker"...need I say more?

11) How To Save A Life - The Fray

This song hit me right as I was leaving Rob and after I left Rob. It reminded me so much of what I had been through. All the angst, the trying...

12) I'm Still Your Fag - Broken Social Scene

I was a little leary of posting this one. Many people might get the wrong impression, but this is essentially the song associated with my closest friend. When I first met him, I thought he was gay. Actually I still wonder. :-)

12) You're Gonna Lose That Girl - The Beatles

I guess now that I'm kind of on the market again, this song is somewhat dedicated to my ex. He should've listened to John.


No comments: