Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My Birthday

Remember the happiness of having a really cool birthday party? Maybe you're parents made arrangements for a pizza parlor and stuffed rodents. All of your truly best friends would come and you would gorge yourself of pizza and video arcade games. You would run around until you were exhausted then setle down for some birthday cake and presents...

Yeah, this birthday was like the exact opposite. I'd say it was the epitome of an adult party. No, not like that! In the respects that everything planned was postponed due to busy schedules or work.

First of all, Friday was my birthday. However IT decided to hold a potluck on that day. Ugh! So agreed with my close buddy, Literal Lou, that we would have the b-day lunch on Monday. He sent out all the invites and my little heart was floppin around at the idea of having lunch with all my close friends on Monday.

Saturday was the saving grace. We were supposed to have a BBQ, but no one could make it. No one save Blue. She came over Friday night, then all day Saturday. What a sweetie! We went to breakfast, Borat, and dinner. (Okay granted breakfast was greasy and dinner was just weird...do yourself a favor and never get chicken tamales, but I still had a fun time.)

Did I happen to mention nary a card or gift from hubby at this point? No? Well I did mention it to him. I wasn't expecting much, but some flowers would have been nice. I mean honestly, it really doesn't take much effort to say, "Wherever you want to go for dinner babe...it's YOUR birthday." *wink, wink*

Anyway, Sunday his back went out. We picked up gramma from church. Then headed out for lunch. I forget where, that's how memorable it was. And I did laundry and cleaned house all day.

Scoot ahead to Monday, big lunch, remember? Well a big project came in for the morning, due by when? That's right, one hour after my lunch. I was working feverently. Trying to get it done in time to go to lunch. First I was half an hour late, then we pushed it back an hour. Finally...the Director who requested the report came up and said, "Uh, yeah, I guess what I REALLY needed was percentages...not days. How long would that take?" Oh, just the REST OF THE ENTIRE FUCKIN DAY!

So lunch postponed until Friday. Erk!

That's it so far. I wonder what other bountiful surprises the birthday gods hold in store for me?

Bastards.

2 comments:

Mark Brown said...

So So Sad, dearheart.

A very happy un-birtday TO YOU.
TO me?
YES. A very happy unbirthday to you.

Well that seems to suck. doesn't it.
I think that you need to publish the following list (I don't know where...Maybe as a comment on My blog?
for the sake of honesty, I rate myself pass/fail on the following at the end)

The following are standard expectations of Position of Husband (Birthday related only)
===============================================================
a) Knows me well enough to have MY Social Security number memorized
b) Remembers to give me A kiss on the lips on the morning of my birthday
c) Knows my birthday, and will commit to giving me :
1) A "Real life"(tm) [read PAPER] birthday card before or ON my birthday.
or
2) A "virtual" (online) birthday card to my email that will arrive Before the clock sets on MY birthday
d) agrees to provide a special "present" on or before my real birthday, that is TANGIBLE!
e) Agrees at least one special event/choice to me on my birthday, unless it is a special "you do nothing" surprise for me...

OK for me
a) pass
b) pass
c1 fail
c2 usually pass
d) we don't do gifts anymore...(usually)
e) pass.

Markb

Anonymous said...

that sucks... sorry :o(

((((HUG))))