Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Destructive Relationships

As you may know, I attended a high school reunion a couple of weeks ago. I gathered the emails of a few people including my (old) best friend. I've been deliberating whether to actually use it. I keep thinking about the people we were then, the kids we were then; and the people we are now. Would we even be friends if we met another way? There was a reason I stopped calling her. I think it was a good reason. I witnessed something she did that was horrific. Even hubby agreed that we should just break off the relationship.

Something happened last night that gave me my answer. We ran into an old friend of my husband's at dinner last night. I knew this guy, and while although he's a nice guy...he's destructive. You know the type, doesn't exercise, smokes like a chimney, drinks, smokes some other stuff religiously. Not a good positive influence.

For years now, I've been trying to get hubby to be more proactive about his health, physically and mentally. Forunately, once hubby cleaned up, all his friends scattered. This was a small blessing.

But now they're all showing up again. And hubby partook of the old habits. And now hubby is in the hospital because he had a major panic attack. They may have found an abnormal heart murmur (he just said, "heart murmur", but quite frankly if they didn't find one at all I'd be very concerned. I just need to find out if it's normal or abby-normal).

So after he woke me up the first time early this morning, and I was trying to get back to sleep, I kept envisualizing me telling him; "It's those fucking friends of yours! They're a bad influence! I don't want you hanging with them anymore!!"

Of course, I sound like a nag and every other woman out there who has something against her boyfriend's or husband's friends. But he always does so well, then one of these losers enters the picture and he regresses. Then I'm left to pick up the peices as they drive home mildly buzzed. Fuckers.

So that's when I realized that just as much as he doesn't need these asshole friends dragging him down, neither do I. I already have my great friends. I don't need more crappy ones.

That includes my dad.

So don't piss me off.

3 comments:

Madwag said...

I'm so with you on this one.

Madwag said...

Hubby and I broke off a relationship like that.... we are so so much better off now...and we are growing spiritually together.

Cloudy said...

I totally agree. I wish I could tell Sasha to not hang out with certain people that bring him down.

(I hope your hubby is OK)