Friday, April 07, 2006

I'll catch up this weekend

As you all know, I've been extremely busy, so thank you for all your kind words, and I'll catch up on all your blogs this weekend.

Hmmm, I guess I'm in a mood in which I want to share, but not exactly sure WHAT to share. My mind seems to go utterly blank whenever I try to think of something to say.

I suppose I could tell you all the thoughts that ran through my mind when we received news that mother came out of surgery okay.

After the doctor informed us of the news, I handed my cell phone over to my grandmother and informed her I was going to get a drink. My grandmother doesn't know, or at least doesn't let on that she knows, that I smoke. After all the excitement I was in dire need of some cancer.

So I picked up my purse and headed outside. The hospital is a smoke-free campus (which I don't blame them) therefore I had to walk out to the street to do my dirty business.

Once I arrived at my destination, I thought about all the hardships my family has had to face. Especially the women in my family. However, we do have one advantage...or perhaps one weakness, however you want to look at it. The women in my family are stereotypical Irish....we are hardy to the core.

It's us that the friends and family look to to keep everything afloat. We stuff our feelings down deep, muster up the best we can, roll back our sleeves and take care of what needs to be done.

You won't find us crying or moaning about everything. We are solid.

I imagine if the rest of the women are anything like I am though, after everything has been taken care of, we wander off somewhere dark and quiet and cry our hearts out.

I imagine most women are like this. Although men are the hunter/gatherers women have had to take care of everything else. There's no time for hysterics or tears. What needs to be done has to be done.

It's gets awfully tiring though.

4 comments:

Madwag said...

Hey... you are right. My mom was that way and so am I when I need to be. I hardly ever saw my mom cry...she was always strong. Once she told me that when she needed to, she would get in the car and drive and scream at the top of her lungs and cried. You have always been strong. It is okay to cry when you can and need to.

blueberi said...

we are still on for ww sat. Anyway, I am definitely like this to. I actually prefer to be doing something so I don't break down. When I'm busy I don't think, and there is no time to cry.

lettuce said...

Just catching up, I've been away for a little while - so sorry about your Mum, and so glad she's come through surgery ok.

It does get awfully tiring - its important to cry sometimes (and sometimes with someone if possible)

Madwag said...

I had a dream about you last night. We were sitting on your back porch with our dogs.... we were talking to them and they understood us. Can you tell I just got out of bed? Rollie isn't here to bable to....he went to get ciggys. Well at least I got to spend some time with you last night...lol