Thursday, April 13, 2006

Need Your Help!!

Okay, so my grandmother's birthday is this weekend. Apprently a freind gave her tickets to an Alaskan cruise quite some time ago, so my family wants to get her a fancy camera.

Well, they want to get her a digital camera that is easy to use.

My issue? I know my grandma. She doesn't use technology. They got her a computer...she never uses it. So now they're going to get her a camera that will require her to use a computer too?!?!

I know it sounds bad that I'm bitching about a present...but here's the deal. They're asking everyone to pitch in $50 to get it. Aside from the fact that $50 is pretty steep, espcially considering we're just getting out of the money problems (oh yeah, hubby is employed again). But I just don't agree with this present at all. I think she'll use it on the trip...maybe...and then leave it on her dresser.

I think a better gift would be a gift cert for new clothes (she just lost thirty + pounds recently) or perhaps a new luggage set.

So my question to you freinds is...do I go with the sprirt of community and go ahead and shell out $50 for a gift I don't think she'll enjoy? Or say, "No, I already got a present", and get her something I think she'll truly use and enjoy...and needs.

What do you think?

7 comments:

lettuce said...

oh dear, thats a really tough one.

Do your family not understand your reasons for not getting the camera?

If not, could you contribute $30, and spend the rest on something you're sure she will like?

lettuce said...

Family!!! Tch.

JP said...

She calls the cops on your bro and she's rewarded with gifts!?!?! Damn, I'm in the wrong business... Seriously, I wouldn't buy anything real expensive if you know she's the forgetful and non-techie type. There are plenty of reasonable priced cameras out there.

blueberi said...

That's a tough one. I say she should just borrow a camera for the trip or get her a cheap one. It's not like she needs to have the best camera. Just a cheap one to get some okay pics.

Cool that hubby got a job. I want to hear all about it.

Madwag said...

I have no idea. Things like that make my brain bleed. Good luck.

xx

Mark Brown said...

Go to CVS and get her a REd CVS instant digital camera (20.00) and processing (10.00 I think.)
that's $30.00, and your budget, and tell the others that you already did the gift thingy.

Cheap enough wont matter if she loses it, or anything else.
COngrats on full employment

The fabric of my life said...

Go with your gut reaction Onyx xxx