Monday, October 17, 2005

Another thing!!!

So I told the guys I would make homemade chicken quesadillas yesterday (for those of you who don't know quesadillas are simply two tortillas with cheese in the middle. Think covered cheese crisp, or grilled cheese sandwich but with tortillas.)

So I have to run to the store because we don't have any cheese or chili peppers for the quesadillas (which literally mean cheese (queso) something or other.)

We get to the store and the first thing I get is salsa (at least $3 a bottle, well for the kind I like). Chili peppers? $1 a can I believe (not too bad). Then I head over to the meat section.

Now we have chichken breast at home. But it's frozen, therefore there would be the added time of defrosting and frying and I knew the guys were starving. I had canned chicken breast at home, which is good, but I thought maybe the guys would prefer fresh. I figured if I got fresh, then at least I wouldn't have to defrost.

I couldn't find a package under $8.50!!!!! (What is that, like um 13 pounds european?) How do families do it??? That much for simple chicken is highway robbery!!!! The cheese? $6 for a bag of shredded cheese. For Cheese!!!!!

$6 for trash bags. Added up we spent about $50 (75 pounds?) just for chicken quesadillas and cleaning supplies. WTF?!?!

How do families do it? Most likely unhealthy foods that are cheap and have coupons. And they wonder why our kids are getting fatter? It's way too expensive to eat healthy.

I mean if you only have $50 for the next two weeks to feed a 4 child family, would you get the $8 1.5 pound package of chicken? Or the 24 for a $1 top ramen??

Idiot politicians!!

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Panic you not, $50 is £28.49 pence, can't see how you arrived at £75.00... Still, I could feed my family for a week on that, NOT..... Hope it tasted good, and I just have to say this "Canned Chicken Breast?" WTF

wv can't hate dating goats

Ms. Adventures said...

Well there are ways to cut that stuff down. Looks like you were probably buying chicken tenders or breast, which are generally more expensive cuts of meat. I usually either buy the breast on sale or get boneless thighs which are always on sale in my area. I also clip coupons and watch for sales in the Sunday paper. With cleaning products I try to buy the larger more economical sizes and use generic brand trash bags. I think a box of 50? 75? are like $4.50. Besides you don't buy cleaning stuff that often. I shop at Wal-Mart too, which I hate but do cause it's cheaper. It just is. I don't buy meat or fresh produce there but everything else I do.

I totally agree with you on the price of food in relation to healthfulness. You would think they'd try harder to make it easier for people to eat healthy. Unless you're willing to make everything from scratch, and even then, it's expensive to eat healthy.

Onyx said...

Yes, my math is deplorable. I was thinking backwards from when I was in England. E.g. "Hmmm, a shirt for 10 pounds, lessee, that would be very roughly about $15 american dollars." I guess I forgot to switch back my brain.