Monday, October 03, 2005

Freaked Out...can you tell?

Warning: Abnormally extensive use of the word "freaked" in this entry.

Ever have something in your life which just freaks you the f*** out?!

Well, aliens are that for me. I'm not sure why and I've never had an experience with them. Don't even believe in them. At least not the kind with two arms, two legs, and head kind. However, they have always scared the crap out of me.

I remember being a child and watching Sesame Street. Those two aliens would come on and always freaked me out. Initially you would see the dark bedroom and nothing, but you knew they were coming. Sure enough the light would spill through the window and you'd start to hear, "Meep, meep, meep, meep." I was so freakin scared but my eyes would be plastered to the screen almost in defiance that these stupid puppets could scare me so bad.

After those scarring years, every once in awhile, in the midst of a dark bedroom and an an open curtain, I was sure that one of those ghastly beings would soon peek through the pane to my frightened stare. They would step through the window and, well...I'm not sure. My fantasies never went beyond the initial encounter.
I would surround myself with pets and repeat to myself the Lord's Prayer in an effort to keep them at bay. Heart pounding with fear, I would quickly slide the drapes closed hoping that if they didn't see me they would forget about me.

To this day, a 29 year old, they still freak me out. Everytime I have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I still have to slide the drapes closed. I mean CLOSED, no peak of the outside through a crack. Closed.


The reason I bring this up is my husband just recently started a freelance job with a woman who has photos taken in another country of UFO sightings. From his description they are clearly UFOs. Alien sightings. They freaked him out and, bless his heart, he conveyed to me his fear of these photos.

Me, being the freak about aliens anyway, have been overwhelmed by the feelings of curiosity and fear ever since he declared this new project. He's going to continue to work on it, but I told him I would go with him to this woman's house from now on. I'm not sure what door this would open. Maybe nothing. But why do I have this deathly fear of something I've never had experiences with?

Most of my childhood fears have dissipated by now, but this one stays strong. I've actually awoken from dreams (unrelated to my fears) with the feeling that something was standing mext to my bed looking down at me. I go to switch on the light in a panic, and...nothing. There's nothing there. But I can't switch of the light. I lay back down, rubbing the cross around my neck and repeating the Lords Prayer over and over.


1 comment:

Ms. Adventures said...

Meep meep meep meep meep. LOL!! That's crazy. I loved those things. I was scared of the technicolor elephant head coat rack we had as a kid.